Friday, April 8, 2011

A Weekend Getaway - Part 1

This past weekend, Jonathan, Edison and I headed off to Tofino for a fun weekend getaway. Jonathan and a few friends planned to go and spend the weekend surfing...and I decided to tag along. I was eager to get out of the house and give Edison and I a change of scenery.

We left bright and early on Friday morning (6am = yuck!) so that we could catch the 8am ferry and still get to Tofino in the afternoon. The journey to Tofino is quite enjoyable. I have to admit I was pretty sick of the ferry when we lived in Victoria and I used to dread taking it. But now enough time has gone by that I no longer hate the ferry. On a long trip, the ferry is actually kind of nice because it breaks up the driving and gives you a chance to get out and stretch your legs. After Jonathan, Edison and I had a snack, we wandered around the ferry looking for a good place to sit and let Edison explore. We stumbled upon a kids play area.....never having had a kid before, I didn't even know the ferries had these. Edison had a great time playing on the cars and he even went down the slide a few times!

Beep Beep!


Head first!

Jonathan and I didn't realize that the drive to Tofino goes up through a higher elevation, so we were quite surprised to see snow along the way! Edison was getting restless in the car seat and I needed to stretch my legs, so we stopped at a rest stop and I was able to take a couple of pictures.
Snow!

Mmmm, Starbucks




We were very excited to arrive at our destination, Surfs Inn, in Ucuelet. Surfs Inn has a hostel and a few cabins. We had reserved one of the cabins and were very excited to get settled in after the long trip. Our cabin had a kitchenette which was perfect because we could make our own meals and didn't have to eat out. We were also quite excited that we had a barbecue on our porch and we made good use of it....we even barbecued frozen pizza (and it was yummy!).

This is the hostel

Here is our cabin....such a beautiful setting!

Our porch

Inside our home away from home

Looking down from the loft


Jonathan and Edison in the little table area.
On Saturday morning, Jonathan was up at the crack of dawn (literally) to go surfing with his friends. While he surfed, Edison and I caught a few more zzzz's, got up and had breakfast, and just hung around the cabin. The weather was beautiful on Saturday (extremely windy, but total blue sky), so when Jonathan came in for lunch we decided to do a few things together to take advantage of the nice weather before he went back out for an evening surf. We went on a hike down a gorgeous trail to a place called Schooner Cove. The whole trail was an elevated boardwalk so it was easy to walk, but it had lots of stairs. I wore Edison in the Ergobaby Carrier on my back and every time I went down stairs, Edison (who must have liked the bouncing) started laughing.... it was pretty cute! The forest was so beautiful, the trees were huge and did a good job of shielding us from the wind.



Schooner Cove was amazing and well worth the little trek to get down there.




Well, this is about all I have time for at the moment. I'll update with part 2 of our weekend later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment